Michael’s Car Accident

Friday, November 8th was an unexpectedly eventful day for us. Michael left for work around 10:30am or so.  At 11:45am as Ryker and I rocked in the rocking chair prior to his nap time, I received a call from Michael’s cell phone, though it wasn’t Michael calling. The voice on the other end introduced himself as a fireman and told me that Michael had been in a collision and that he was okay, but were taking him to the hospital.  I asked which hospital and where the accident had taken place.  He told me that they were taking him to Scottsdale Healthcare (nearly 40 miles away from our home) and that the accident happened at the intersection of Ocotillo Rd. & Sossaman in Queen Creek – just 15 min. away from home.

After I hung up the phone, I called Michael’s parents to let them know what was going on; I also called my mom to ask her if I could drop off the kids to her house and then I also called Michael’s work to let them know they would need to find someone to cover for him. Then I packed up Ryker and his diaper bag and went to check the kids out of school so I could drop them off at my parent’s house in Mesa on the way to the hospital. The kids were surprised for being unexpectedly picked up early from school and when they came up to the school’s front office, asked me why they were leaving.  I told them their dad was in a car accident, but that he was okay, and that they were going to Grandma’s while I went to the hospital.  They were immediately concerned and worried but I assured them Dad was okay.

I don’t remember exactly what time I got to the hospital but Michael’s parents were already there as was my dad who had left work early to see if he could assist in giving Michael a blessing.  Michael’s parents had also called one of Michael’s brothers, so Kevin was there too.  I had come down with a fever, chills and horrible cough two days prior, so I really wasn’t feeling well when I showed up and tried really hard not to cough too much so that I wouldn’t get thrown out of the ER, ha, ha.  :)  When I got back to where he was, he really looked like he was hurting pretty bad.  He had had x-rays done and thankfully he had no broken bones.  We tried to help him sit up at the edge of the bed, but he was really nauseated and had to lay back down.  But you know the hospital- they have drugs for everything and they gave him some great stuff to make the nausea go away.  Still, the poor guy could hardly move.

I asked him what had happened and he told me that he was traveling west on Ocotillo Rd. and at the intersection of Sossamon, a car in the left turn lane just slightly ahead of him preparing to turn left (south) suddenly swerved just as he  entered the intersection on a green light, and then all he saw was a flash of red from a red northbound Ford Expedition.  He said it happened so fast he didn’t have time to react and the next thing he knew he and his car were spinning around 3 or 4 times.  The Ford truck was traveling about 50 mph and the distracted driver ran a red light at the intersection he apparently didn’t know he had even entered. Michael said he thought he sat in his car for only a few minutes before paramedics arrived.  They pried the door off to get him out and performed some preliminary tests on him.  They thought he had some internal bleeding so they airlifted him to Scottsdale Healthcare Osborne.  Yeah, that’s right.  He got a nice little helicopter ride. But he didn’t get to enjoy the view out the window since he was strapped down to a stretcher.  Bummer.  Anyway, once he got to the hospital and gave him a good looking over, they found there was no internal bleeding or broken bones.  What a blessing.  Unfortunately he was still in a lot of pain.

A while after the anti-nausea meds kicked in, we wrapped up paperwork with the hospital and Michael’s dad wheeled him out in a wheelchair while I pulled my car around to the ER entrance. On the long drive back we had to stop at the Queen Creek Sheriff’s Office substation, as a police officer had called and said he had Michael’s wallet. The officer told us the driver of the red Ford was on his way to a doctor’s appointment for pinkeye treatment.  Not only that but the guy was driving his father’s new 2013 Ford Expedition and was getting married that evening.  The driver sustained only minor injuries.  I do hope he was able to go on with his wedding that night, but how unfortunate to have pinkeye and then get in an accident just a few hours before tying the knot.  I do feel bad for that poor guy.

Unfortunately for us Michael’s car was totaled. Ugh. Just what we need right now. I forgot to add gap insurance back on to his car when I refinanced it a few months ago, so we’ll be paying about $2K negative equity on a dead car after the insurance payment kicks in.  That stinks!  He is currently undergoing physical therapy which he is supposed to do for about 12 weeks. That’s a major difficulty with his work schedule right now. He works 6am to 9pm Saturday through Tuesday, and 11am or noon to about 9pm the rest of the week.  So his few free hours he would normally spend at home he now has to spend at physical therapy.  Good times.  Not.

I will say we are so blessed that he is alive and okay.  The accident could have been so much worse. The doctor at physical therapy told Michael that on a scale of 1 to 10, 1- him having a normal spine and 10- his spine being snapped in half, he was about an 8-1/2.  Referring to a swollen spot near the top of Michael’s spine, the doctor said that if his spine would have snapped at that point, his esophagus would have gone too and he would have died. He said, “So I can tell you why you’re in a lot of pain and that it was a bad accident.”  Truly we were watched over and blessed, and for that I am thankful.

Leave a comment